Sunday, July 13, 2008

Guten Tag!

Nate, Anna and I arrived in Berlin yesterday! Woo-hoo! Here’s a quick report. The flight from San Francisco to JFK went well. Both girls were awesome. No crying from either of them. Cate was super excited about her new polka dot suitcase and she even dragged it around everywhere. So cute.



Here's Anna on her very first plane ride!


We spent a day in NJ, and then left Cate in the able care of her grandparents and boarded the red eye for Berlin. We think Germans are nicer than Americans to families with babies on planes. Seriously, everyone was so friendly, passengers & flight attendants alike. They are also much quieter than Americans. We were in two German airports yesterday and they were both silent as the dead. I’m not exaggerating. We felt like we had to whisper. It was quieter than church, by a long shot. Anyway, we were able to check into our hotel early and then forced ourselves to stay awake all day. I’ve never felt like a worse parent in my life. Anna was SO tired yesterday but we kept dragging her around town. We just couldn’t stay in our room or we would have fallen asleep. We just felt sooooo bad for her. Oh, yeah, bad parenting move #2 - we took a taxi without a carseat. In fact, one cabby wouldn’t drive us, but another agreed to. So despite the fact he was the stinkiest cabby in europe, we’re still grateful to him. Anyway, we all went to bed last night at 5 pm Berlin time and slept well over 12 hours, with several Anna feedings mixed in there. We’re feeling much better today and ready to actually enjoy our time in Berlin.

Yesterday we went to register Nate for his conference. I could not keep my eyes open on the subway ride. It was really funny. Nate kept telling me to do things, like count, etc…I couldn’t stay awake! Anyway, we didn’t get much fun stuff done yesterday because we were so wasted. Hopefully we’ll have more fun things to report soon! I’m also going to be posting on the food blog while we’re traveling, so check in there as well. Sending our love across the many miles!! ☺

Oh - here's Anna NOT sleeping in the little bed on the plane to Germany. She did really well, though, and actually DID sleep part of the way. Good girl.

9 comments:

Liz Findlay said...

how fun! I love that pic of anna too by the way... hope you guys have a great time. Be sure to hit Weinerwald for some ridiculously disgusting fast food German style! PS Did you notice the off ramps on the autobaun (sp?) are called AUS FARTS??!!! love it. Wish we could have joined you jet setters as Nate impresses the world with his genius. good luck, Nate!

Linn said...

Sounds wonderful--glad you are there. Hope you get some sleep though. That picture of Anna made me laugh hard. Too cute.

coreyandseth said...

Guten Tag!!! Jane, we just came home from Frankfurt today!!! The airports were soo eerily quiet. Honestly, not even one child was loud!! Hope you have a great time on your trip! We had a blast, ate a bit too much food, and spent a bunch of money..it's hard not to when the american dollar is so weak over there! Enjoy!!!

Anne W said...

She had a bed on the airplane? That's convenient!

BM said...

Nate, make sure you pick up some brie in Paris since Jane loves the smell so much . . . Have fun!

Anonymous said...

so cute - I have a photo of Nate doing the same exact pose - wide awake despite what I wanted. We are glad you are safe in enemy territory and enjoying the local fare. Keep the news coming. When is the conference and how will Nate's command of the German language translate there? Be careful and go slow on the FARTS whatever you do! They can be deadly from what I hear.

brit.brat said...

holy cow. how did i miss this!? have so much fun! that is so exciting. that little pram was adorable. was that yours or the airlines? love it!

Anonymous said...

Guten Morgen World Travelers! Jet lag is just awful! I hope that you guys have a wonderful trip! I can't wait to see Cate when she gets to her NH Grandparent's house. The pool is ready for her (and you guys when you return). Most of all enjoy the experience! 1-4-3 Guys!

jane maynard said...

hey corey - we are going to be in nj! hopefully you'll read this but I doubt it...but email me if you do! :)