And just like that, Baby Cate is a Kindergartener! I know time flies, but seriously? Kindergarten?
Cate has been counting the days until the start of school. Yesterday we had the chance to go check out her classroom and meet her teacher Mrs. C. As Cate looked longingly around the room she exclaimed, "I wish today were tomorrow!"
As we walked to school this morning with Dad and Anna, I turned to Cate and said, "Well, tomorrow is today!" She was beaming with happiness.
As soon as they opened the door, she was in the room, I think maybe the first person in. By the time Nate and I could get into the room, she was already sitting at a table lacing a card. She was very focused, it was super cute. (Sidenote: A place where there are hundreds of crayons organized by color is going to be HEAVEN for Cate.)
We put Cate to bed last night at 8:00, 30 minutes past her bedtime. She laid in bed WIDE AWAKE until 10:30. She just couldn't fall asleep. Then she woke up on her own early this morning. She told me "I just don't want to miss the first day!" Cate and I decided the first day of Kindergarten is a lot like Christmas morning. Cate seriously felt just as excited for today as she does for Christmas morning.
I only started to tear up once during the drop off, but I was able to hold it in. See, you can't even tell that at this exact moment my eyes are full of tears.
Mrs. C gave each parent a little white bag as we left this morning. I started to read the note on the outside and immediately started crying, so I stopped reading and stuffed it into the back of the stroller for later. What a mean teacher. Just look what she wrote to us:
Dear Parents,
Here's a little gift for you as you leave your precious one with me on the first day of school.
As you hold this cotton ball in your hand {editorial note: this is where I stopped reading while at school. brutal.}, the softness will help you to remember the gentle spirit of your child.
After you've gone home and dried your tears {she included a tissue in the bag}, make yourself a hot cup of tea {tea bag also included}.
Put up your feet and relax.
Remember that together you and I will work for your child to be the best s/he can be.
Thank you for entrusting your child to me for this special year. I will do my very best every day to be a nurturing guide for learning about and exploring this bright new world called "school."
Sincerely, Mrs. C
I like this lady. A lot. She's going to be wonderful. And I'm not even mad at her anymore for making me cry. That was going to happen anyway, she just helped it along...and even gave me a tissue. :)
I actually didn't cry that much when I read the letter later. But then Anna and I sat down to read a book. She picked an Angelina Ballerina book, one of Cate's favorites. About one sentence in I totally lost it, could barely get any words out. Anna just looked at me, sucking her thumb, and put her little hand up on my shoulder. I just told her I missed Cate (which she had told me herself earlier) and that I love them both very much.
I just love our little girls.
P.S. This is what the little sister's hair looks like the first day of school for older sister. Think I was a little more focused on Cate, perhaps? At least Cate's hair looked smashing, even if Anna looks like Einstein's protege.













14 comments:
geez! I can't believe that Cate's in SCHOOL! My roommate starts her student teaching this week in Kindergarten. She gets to hang out with "Cates" all day!
ten points for having a stellar teacher too. I'm happy you guys lucked out.
love and miss!
Congratulations, Cate! What a wonderful attitude demonstrated by teacher and student.
I had to take a city big persons bus to my first day of kindergarten. I insisted I ride alone. While on the way to Wasatch Grammar I looked to the back of the bus and I saw my Mom. It ticked me off. I ignored her for the rest of the ride. She always got a kick out of that.
grandpa hans
big day for the maynards!
that is so funny, dad! I've never heard that story....will have to tell cate tonight, she'll love it! :)
love and miss you too, anne!
it sure is, ellen! can't believe it's already here!
I totally teared up reading this entry. Yeah for Cate! And yeah for moms that cry on the first day of Kindergarten. I've done it three times. I plan to do it a fourth. We miss you guys!
LOL! I love those pics of Anna.
It's crazy how fast they grow up--Savannah just started 1st, but its her first year in actual school, and I've had a lot more problems with it than she does (although after the first two days, she stopped getting up happily--honeymoon's over already!) But that was a really sweet note from her teacher.
ok = I know none of you are surprised that I am crying... Happy first day of school Cate!
Way too much in my heart to even begin to share BUT I have a very clear memory of Jane off to kindergarten - the colors she was wearing and walking down the street backpack bouncing... it just goes so fast... add to that someone else's first birthday and I am barely keeping it together... LOVE YOU ALL!!!
That is one darling kindergartner and an equally darling little sister! I love the enthusiasm for school. That is awesome!
Freddy is still in shock that baby Cate is now in all day school! She's totally beaming, and oh so cute with her perfectly combed hair (I noticed that right away Jane). I'm sure I did the same thing with my girls. ;) Thanks for sharing such sweet photos! Love and miss your precious family. Maria & Fred
Yes, Cate is amazing...Thanks so much for posting such a wonderful adventure. Sounds like perfection to me..Love you guys in Cali..
You have no idea how much I liked reading this from the other point of view (parent's). I credit Mrs. C for preparing parents as much as kids. She'll be great!
Marg
What beautiful photos and you so well captured your feelings and Cate's about her first day. Thanks for sharing with us! I am so happy for Cate.
dang! weren't we just all fat and pregnant doing our visiting teaching in ignorant bliss, like last week? the girls are too grown up already!!
my favorite thing about this post? your matching, perfectly parted ponytails!
This is so so sweet. Can't wait to ask Cate all about her new class and teacher. And, having a child myself whose hair is quite similar to the look Anna is rocking, I have to say I love it. :)
Post a Comment