Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Announcing Owen Nathaniel Maynard


It's true. We finally had our baby boy! Owen Nathaniel Maynard entered the world with a big splash (more on that in a moment) on Sunday, September 25. He is lucky enough to share a birthday with his mommy. Owen's birth was certainly was the best birthday present I've ever received! Owen weighed 6 pounds 15 ounces and was 20.5 inches long. We didn't name him until today...I wasn't kidding when we said we didn't have a name going into this! But we are really excited about Owen and it fits him perfectly. And I really wanted to name him after his daddy, hence Nathaniel. He is doing very well health-wise and is a great sleeper and eater (at least for now!). We are beyond overjoyed to have welcomed him to our little family.

This will forever be engrained in our memories as the week when two Maynard girls ended up in unexpected surgery under general anesthesia. As if Cate's broken arm and operation weren't enough , Owen's birth proved to be just as, shall we say, exciting.

Sunday was the 41 week mark for the pregnancy. We were scheduled to go in that morning for an induction, but I started having contractions Saturday night and we ended up at the hospital 3 hours earlier than we had planned. Everything was calm and progressing steadily, and in fact Nate and I got a little bit of sleep that morning (after I had literally been up the entire night timing contractions on the iPad). My contractions slowed down a bit, so they started me on pitocin, at which point I decided to get an epidural. The epidural went in and not long after that my water broke, which is when the craziness ensued. I will not go into all the gory details, but essentially the water breaking caused some complications, which led to a prolapsed umbilical cord (the cord comes out before the baby). From the moment they discovered the prolapsed cord to Owen's birth was only 6 minutes...I was whisked so quickly into the OR both of our heads were spinning. I ended up having to go under general anesthesia (if you want the details on THAT I'll have to tell you in person!), but woke up fine and met our sweet little man about 2 hours after his birth. Needless to say I was a blubbering basket case when Nate rolled him into our postpartum room. I have never been more happy to take someone in my arms and shower them with love.

Owen is beautiful and perfect and we are so grateful he has joined our family. He is simply perfect and his presence is a miracle.

Without further ado...pictures. And lots of 'em. To see them up closer, just click on the photos.







This is his serious pose.

This is what Anna would do when she was little...suck thumb, pull ear!



This picture makes me cry. This is right after I met Owen (two hours later than I should have)...it captures so much for me.


I love this photo.

And this one.






The girls are SO cute with him.

Pictured: two proud sisters and two grandparents who literally saved the day the last two weeks. Don't know what we would have done without them through all the craziness.

Anna was SO cute the first time she met Owen. Really really sweet.

Cate was SO cute, too. Can't wait until the cast is off and she can hold him on her own!



45 comments:

ellen said...

He's so sweet and he looks like his big sisters. Congrats, Maynards!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness... I am teary eyed looking at those sweet pictures. Seriously beautiful! Congrats to your precious family.

Melissa said...

Congrats, Jane!! I'm glad that everything turned out well, despite all of your setbacks. What a miracle.

Hope your recovery is going well & super speedy.

Elizabeth Paul said...

Oh Jane! I have a tear in my eye, he is so precious so beautiful! Wish I could hold him! Congrats to Nate on finally getting his boy! Love to you both and a kiss for Owen:)

Mitchell Family said...

Jane, I loved reading about all of this. I'm so happy for you and your family. Not that his arrival was nearly as exciting but this took me back to the morning John was born. I think the only true love at first sight is a mother's first glance at her baby. You are going to love having a little boy. No one loves mama like her son. What a great birthday gift. Ruth

Linsey K said...

Such a cutie! Your family is adorable and you have been through a lot these last couple of weeks. Enjoy some rest now...that is, until little Owen wakes up again! Much love :)

denebug said...

Congratulations Jane! He looks beautiful.

Jessica R. said...

Oh congratulations Jane! He's absolutely ADORABLE!
So glad everything ended well! Seems like it's the season for terrifying births!

Shaina said...

Absolutely precious, Jane. Congratulations to all the Maynards. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful and you can tell he's brilliant, just like his mom.

Ruth said...

I'm so so happy for you. Beautiful family!

Kathy said...

Oh Jane, so scary, but what a happy ending! Grateful everything turned out fine. I can completely relate to the scary birth story. What would we do without modern medicine? He really is just perfect!

Nikki CB said...

I'm so happy for you and the whole family. I teared up looking at the pictures. Amazing moments!

Gina said...

Congratulations to you all!! He is so, so beautiful. I'm glad you're all safe. Enjoy these first precious, fleeting days.

Malerie said...

Could he be any more handsome?! Seriously! And I think he definitely looks like an Owen. (I love that name! It's a family name, but already taken in our family) :) Congrats! I'm so sorry for the crazy delivery, but glad you all are doing well.

Jenn @ HWTM said...

He is sooo cute, Jane! Congratulations! (and happy belated birthday!) The girls look adorable too... hope Cate's arm is feeling better!

Rachael said...

He's such a handsome little man! He looks a lot like you to me! I didn't meet Josh until 3 hours until after he was born -- that's a long wait but magical when I got to see his little face!

Rachael said...

Also - LOVE his name!

jyl said...

Ahhhh! He's perfect! Glad everyone is happy and healthy and beautiful. Enjoy your first week together.

xoxo

Linn said...

He is absolutely adorable Jane! LOVE his name and love that you are both doing well, especially after such a scary delivery. Enjoy this wonderful time. Much love from the Boston Allens!

Marie {Make and Takes} said...

I LOVE the photo with you holding him for the first time, I'm teary too :) Congrats!

MandaMommy said...

Congrats! I'm glad you're both well. He's beautiful (and definitely looks like a 41 weeker!)!

Megan said...

wow Jane, he couldn't be cuter. Congratulations. Sounds slightly traumatic, but what a great ending.

Wendy said...

We are so happy for you guys! He's absolutely perfect and we love his name. Crazy how he got here, but so happy the both of you are doing well. We just can't wait to meet him and hear the gory details:)

ostacy said...

i'm overrjoyed for you and your family. i hope to meet him one day!

cora said...

He's so, so precious and gorgeous. I love that he seems to look like such a combination of two, especially since the girls each favor one side of the family. Congratulations! We love you guys so much!!

catherine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
catherine said...

Knowing of this complication I am thrilled to look at the beautiful pictures of the two of you and know that you are here to celebrate the greatest blessing of a lifetime.

Sending love!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Congrats Jane! He is so sweet! I'm so happy to hear you are all doing well.

Aaron said...

so happy for you guys. he's already got the maynard look. love the name. it would have been ada's name had she been a boy...

Shellie Torstensson said...

Such sweet photos Jane. I can't imagine waiting those two hours. Must have felt like an eternity!! So proud of you guys!

angie said...

what an adorably perfect little head on an adorable boy!

congrats!!

Leslie said...

Congratulations Jane! He is seriously adorable. What a handsome little man! So glad you are all safe and sound but sorry to hear about your delayed first meeting. That would be hard, but I am sure you are making up for lost time :)

eryn said...

Jane, he's beautiful. I'm glad the name just came to you. Also, super scary story. I think modern medicine is such a miracle. Glad you all are doing well. Best wishes!

Ashlyn said...

I am glad everything turned out alright. He is a handsome boy! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Wow. I'm in tears, too. We are grateful he is here and everyone is fine. Give him hugs and kisses from the Nelson's...and give them to the girls as well...and why not, give them to Nate and Phyllis and Hans! Love you guys!

Lindsay Christensen said...

Wonderful NEWS!!! Congratulations to you and the whole family. We are very happy for you guys. I'm sorry to hear there were complications but so happy that everything turned out okay. Thinking of you!
Love,
Lindsay, Gavin, Soren & Elsa

Erika said...

Jane, this is your (second) cousin Erika. Congratulations! I can't even remember how I found your blog, but it's been fun to keep up on you and your beautiful family.

Auntie Barb said...

Way to make me cry in the middle of my work day! I'm so happy for you and your family. He definitely belongs to the family. Just another pea in the pod. I'm surprised he was a small as he is. Were the girls that small? I love babies that size, they last just a tiny bit longer. Enjoy...much love! Auntie Barb

sheila said...

Congrats Jane and to the whole crew. You all look just beautiful!

Shauna said...

I showed this to grandma and grandpa tonight, and they LOVED it. Grandma was so happy to see pictures of Owen and kept saying how perfectly wonderful he is. She even made me "copy" some of the pictures on her printer, so she can look at him any time she wants to. :) Hope things are going well - give your cute kids an extra hug from all of us.

pam said...

Congrats, Jane!! You have such a beautiful family - I loved all the pictures that you so kindly shared with us. :) Happy belated birthday to you and Owen!

Valerie said...

What an adorable face! So glad all is well

Ingunn said...

Dear Jane and the Maynards!
We are so happy to hear that Owen has entered this world after a little craziness as you call it... We are so lucky to live in countries that can help us when things take an unexpected turn. But Fredrik is now wondering; what happened with Kate?? Because this cast lookes familiar.. only F had a black one. CONGRATS WITH YOUR FAMILY OF FIVE! Beautiful pics :o)

Carina said...

He's absolutely beautiful, Jane! I can't wait to meet him.