This blog is more for me than for anyone...a place to write things down that I want to remember. So here are a few things about Owen I want to remember from Month One.
- His arrival was far too exciting for my taste. But despite the scare at the beginning, Owen has been healthy and happy ever since. When Owen was 5 days old, we went in for a weight check, where we discovered that he was drinking about 2 ounces per feeding, as opposed to the expected 1-2 teaspoons. We haven't worried that he was getting enough food since.
- The kid always looks concerned and or worried. The furrowed brow is his default face. It's pretty darn cute, actually.

- Owen has already gone through several phases. Phase 1: eats regularly, sleeps all the time. Phase 2: Eats ALL the time...like every hour, or less. Phase 3: Grumpy Gus - whenever he's awake, he's grumpy, and he has a hard time falling asleep, and he keeps his mom up for 2-3 hours at a time at night...this phase nearly killed me, but thankfully only lasted a week. We are currently in Phase 4: Far less grumpy, goes back to sleep after night feedings (which are still happening a few times a night, but whatever), just all around easier baby to deal with than the Phase 3 baby.
- We have had TONS of visitors to help out. Grandpa Hans was here the week before Owen was born and got to meet him the day before he left town. Grandma Phyllis arrived the day before he was born and was here a week to help out while we were in the hospital and during those first few days home. At that point we weren't expecting any help until mid-October, which put me in to serious panic mode. Thankfully, Auntie Anne came the day after Phyllis left and helped for a few days, then Cousin Sara Beth came for a few days as well - both last minute trips, both unbelievably helpful. I do NOT know what we would have done without those ladies. We had 5 or 6 days alone (unfortunately coinciding with Phase 3, see above!), and then Tia Hannah arrived for a week. The day after Hannah left, Jessica arrived! Jess is here now (thanks for giving her up for us, Cuyler!) and then Mimi comes next week. I believe that this has been the only bonus of having an emergency c-section...all of this wonderful family stepping up and saving the day...and we've gotten so much one-on-one time with them, it's really been wonderful.
- Owen smiled (FOR REAL) the first time last Thursday October 20. Of course he hasn't done much smiling since, so I don't think anyone really believes me...but they were real live smiles, I swear. It was the cutest thing ever.

- Since Jessica has arrived, Owen is getting stronger and stronger by the minute. Jess has noticed a difference in his ability to hold his head up since Friday already. It totally makes him seem older...which he is. The floppy newborn phase is definitely coming to a close very soon.
- Today, as a birthday present to himself, Owen tinkled all over himself, and completely missed me. He had blasted out of his diaper, so while I was cleaning his back, his you-know-what was pointed right at his head while I held his legs up. Of course I was clueless, and when I put his legs back down the poor thing was SOAKED. Hair, face, ears, chest. Jess said when I carried him to the bath, there was tinkle dripping off his ear. Poor kid! But it was really funny.
- Owen likes taking a bath. The first bath of course he screamed. The second bath, not quite as loud of a scream, but still crying. But ever bath since he's been calm and happy. In fact, he gets mad when I take him out!
- Owen loves his swing, and he loves staring up at the mirror and the birds that turn in circles.
- Owen's big sisters love him to pieces. The first thing they want to see when they wake up (especially Cate) is Owen. Cate especially can't get enough of him. It's very sweet.
- Owen weighed 6 pounds 19 ounces at birth and 7 pound 4 ounces on October 10. Who knows what he is now...probably around where the girls were when they were born!

I think that's all the "milestones" I wanted to get down, at least for now!
We love you, Owen! Happy Birthday!!!
Here is Owen and what has been dubbed by Jess as his "Growth Giraffe" - I'll take a picture of him with it each month!


10 comments:
Alas, the trials of having a boy! Danny & I had a good chuckle with the "tinkle" story! I hope you are feeling good yourself. Miss you guys!
Yay! Can't wait to meet the little guy. He is adorable.
He is so adorable! The 'extra part' on these little guys is a little tricky to get the hang of. I've already been peed on, not to mention my bed, my purse, my floor, Scott and on and on. Sure love them though.
ha ha! yes, that extra part can be trouble! owen has made is mark on a whole lot of doctor's offices... ;)
i like owen and want to see his grimace in person.
Thanks for this!!! Love you all!
By the way - did Cate get her cast off??
she sure did - 2 weeks ago today, wore a sling for one more week and is free and clear now. one more doctor's appt next week. she still can't straighten her arm...that will take a while.
I love babies. I love reading about yours. I'm so happy for you.
I can't wait to see you all and meet the little man! I will wear a plastic changing apron! See you next week - keep smiling Owen... Yer a lucky guy.
Post a Comment