Monday, July 09, 2007

New Camera & Lens

So, a few months ago I got a Digital SLR camera...I also got a lens for low light, close-up situations. It's been great for the pictures on my food blog, but yesterday I got these super sweet pictures of Cate - and I wasn't even using a tripod - crazy!





3 comments:

Megan said...

jane - got to know more about which camera you bought. I've been wanting to make that investment for a couple years now, but can't decide which is best for the money. It just seems like you can't compare with the quality you get on those, plus I'd love to have real-time shots and not the delay I get with our digital. The pictures are beautiful, and so is Cate!

jane maynard said...

hi megan! I got the Canon Rebel XT - the lowest Canon digital SLR, but it's great! A professional photographer recommended that I get that camera based on money, quality, etc. In terms of lenses - she said not to get the kit lens (the lens it comes with) - I think that's just b/c those lenses are their lowest quality, but I kind of wish I'd just gotten the kit lens - I had the kit lens on my old Minolta SLR (film) camera and it always worked great. The lens I used for these shots (and for the food blog) is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - it's actually a cheap lens, but the same photographer recommended it and it has good reviews. Like I said - I would get the lens it comes with for sure for general shots, but this lens I have is fun too.

As for where to buy? Check out Amazon, Costco, E-Bay for sure. There are all kinds of package deals. I just bought the camera body and the one lens and will build from there.

It really is amazing how much better the SLR cameras are than the point-and-shoots. We have a Canon PowerShot for our digital point-and-shoot, which I LOVE...but the quality can't be beat on the SLR, AND the delay is non-existent, which is the best.

PHEW - that was long. :)

Kerri said...

Gorgeous pictures, Jane. They are so professional looking and Cate could be a little model! I think I know what my next camera is going to be!