Saturday, August 08, 2009

Aunt Cora's Summer Prep Course

My brother's wife Cora just sent us this email after spending the last two weeks with us. She is 37 weeks pregnant and, despite her great-with-childness, has been a very fun and energetic aunt for the girls! It's been really fun. Anyway, she just sent this email out, and I love it so much. And it's full of memories from this summer that I just don't want to forget, so I'm putting it up here on the blog for posterity.

*********
This summer, due to some employment "changes", I've had a chance to hang out a fair amount with one of my nephews and both of my nieces. It has been such a great blessing for so many reasons. Namely, it's been a great mini prep course for the arrival of our soon to be expected son. I thought I would quickly share just a couple of my insights (which I realize all of you already know).

1. IF YOU'RE CLUMSY, SMALL PEOPLE AROUND YOU WILL SUFFER.

2. IF YOU EVER NEED AN EGO CHECK, HANG OUT WITH A FOUR YEAR OLD.
-Cate to Cora, "Why are your teeth yellow?"
-After spending about a week and a half hanging out with my nieces, I straightened my hair and put on some make-up for our big trip into New York City. After walking out of the bathroom, Cate wonders "Cora, how come your voice sounds like you, but your face doesn't look like you?"

3. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW PREGNANT YOU ARE, THE LITTLE ONES STILL THINK YOU SHOULD SHARE YOUR ICE CREAM.

4. ADORABLE ONE YEAR OLDS CAN MAKE A ROOM OF 20+ "MATURE" ADULTS DANCE AROUND LIKE "A GIANT OAK TREE".

5. EVERYONE APPRECIATES A LITTLE BEYONCE.

6. "NO" CAN MEAN ANYTHING DEPENDING ON THE INFLECTION.

7. THERE IS A MEDICAL PHENOMENON, IN WHICH ONE'S BONES PUDDLE ONTO THE FLOOR CAUSING THE BODY TO INSTANTLY COLLAPSE, THAT ALL CHILDREN SUFFER FROM UPON CERTAIN REFUSALS OR REPRIMANDS.

May all your prayers be with me....

-cora

1 comment:

Kim Maynard said...

Very insightful and funny too! Good luck, Cora!